Dr. McMahon-Howard and students in her CRJU 4430: Victimology class organized a film screening and panel discussion that focused on children who witness domestic violence. After viewing the award-winning documentary, The Children Next Door ( http://cdv.org/documentary/ ), a panel of experts who have worked with children who have witnessed domestic violence discussed a number of complex issues that these children experience and the challenges that exist when police and prosecutors handle domestic violence cases involving child witnesses.
The moderator for the panel was Kim McCoy (Director of the Victim-Witness Unit for the Cobb County DA's Office).
The panel members include:
1) Star White, LPC, MFT, CAMS (Therapist).
2) District Attorney Vic Reynolds (Cobb Judicial Circuit)
3) Detective Chris Northen (Special Victims Unit, Cobb County Police Department)
4) Steffani Salter (Transitional Housing and Outreach Advocate for the YWCA of NW Georgia)
5) Christy Showalter (Director of Training and Membership from Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence)
Posted: April 12, 2016